Monday, July 29, 2013

summer reading list: vol. II


(alternate title for this list: the only three books I managed to read in July)

If you're not already familiar with Oxford's twitter feed, please trust me when I say you should be. And also, read this book.

Beautiful Ruins // by Jess Walter
I mentioned in a previous post that I devoured this book in just one day and I was not exaggerating. It's a serious page-turner. I know you've already seen it on a ton of summer reading lists, but if you have yet to add it to your must-read list, you should definitely reconsider.

A Game of Thrones // by George R.R. Martin
I cannot stomach this show. I just can't. But it kills me that everyone is always talking about it and I have nothing to say, so I came up with a solution: read the book(s). I can't quite decide if I think Martin is a talented storyteller, a 13-year-old boy masquerading as a much older man, or just a complete asshole, but now at least I understand most of season one. I think.


1 comment:

  1. The Game of Thrones series is some of my favorite literature. They are so addictive and infinitely better than the tv series

    ReplyDelete