Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Passover Granola with Almonds, Coconut, and Pecans

I may not have made enough.

Despite all of the preparations for Passover that I had made throughout the week, it somehow didn't occur to me until I was standing in the cereal aisle of our local Whole Foods this past Sunday that I wasn't going to be able to eat Uncle Sam's with my morning yogurt and fruit. This sent me into a slight panic. Fortunately, a quick online search on Sunday afternoon revealed tons of kosher-for-Passover granola recipes. I chose one this morning from the Washington Post website (see here for the original recipe as tested by Randy Richter) and I'm seriously impressed with the results. 

Ingredients:
3 cups matzoh farfel
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 teaspoon salt
1+1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/3 cup honey

Instructions:
1.  Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2.  In a large bowl, combine the farfel, almonds, coconut, pecans, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3.  In a pan over low heat, heat the butter and honey until the butter melts.  Stir this mixture into the farfel mixture, coating all the pieces as evenly as possible.
4.  Spread the mixture evenly into a jelly-roll pan or 9-by-13-inch baking pan and bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through (if you're not lazy) to ensure even browning.  It should be lightly golden.
5.  Remove from the oven, transfer to a large sheet of wax paper and set aside to cool.  Store in an airtight container.

Side-note: Did you know that quinoa is actually kosher for Passover? Anna recently introduced me to yet another insanely delicious looking quinoa breakfast recipe, and I can't wait to try it out. Thankfully I won't have to. Take a look at this amazing-ness and tell me that your mouth isn't already watering:

3 comments:

  1. I wants it. Yum! I love granola, but I am not so good at the portion control with it. Too nommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks great xoxo
    http://cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete